Sunday 8 September 2013

Groovy wheels baby

First I needed a decent frame, I had some aluminium profile left over from a desk and this looked like a ideal basis. After cutting the profile to size and temporarily bolding them together the frame looked like depicted in the photo below with in the middle my old CNC.

With the frame cut to size I start to look for a linear guiding system. I found a linear guiding system based on V-groove wheels. After days of google'ing trying to find good V-groove bearings in Europe I just gave up on buying the bearings. As an alternative I bought a Delrin rod and with the help of the CNC of my friend and the lathe skills of my father, we made 16 wheels that fit around a standard 22mm bearing.

Now it was time a test; I mounted a multiplex 18mm panel on my frame, bolded 4 aluminium 90 degree profiles and created a test bridge from some left over multiplex.

After days of testing this setup I still was not happy with the stability of the wheels. I tried different positions, groove depth's and pre-loads but it was not wobble-free :(

I needed something else...... 

1 comment:

  1. I read you blog. It is nice, sharing very informative information about Groovy wheels baby

    Diamond CNC Wheels

    ReplyDelete